Bellvale ‘Athena’s Vineyard’ Chardonnay 2017
Chardonnays can be found in a variety of styles, ranging from unoaked to oaked. In the cool West, they are generally unfinished; in the South and East, however, they are frequently oaked.
The unoaked Chardonnays are light and clean with the characteristics of a Chablis. The oaked versions have more tropical fruit and vanilla notes, similar to California Chardonnays.
Australian Chardonnay, which emerged from late 20th-century overproduction and has taken on a variety of influences as it travels across the continent, is as diverse as the nation itself.
In Australia, the cooler areas are producing clean, Chablis-style Chardonnay, and the warmer regions are creating oaky, buttery Chardonnay comparable to the Napa Valley.
The Wine that is the best value in Australia
Chardonnay was the wine that brought Australia into international prominence in the 1980s and 1990s. These wines were approachable and inexpensive, and the rest of the world bought them by truckload. The popularity of these Chardonnays, like with other trends, resulted in an increase in production and a decrease in quality. The quality is now returning, and some excellent values are available once again.
Look for the Upper Hunter Valley and McLaren Vale in New South Wales for oaked Chardonnays, and anywhere along the Margaret River for un-oaked Chardonnays.
Specifications of Bellvale ‘Athena’s Vineyard’ Chardonnay 2017
- Grapes: Chardonnay
- Wine Style: Australian Chardonnay
- Tasting Notes: The ‘Athena’s Vineyard’ Chardonnay has an elegant mouthfeel that belies its robust flavor. The spice starts as medium-bodied before transitioning into rich rhubarb and cloves to finish you off on a smooth tongue with some lingering satisfaction in your final sip!
- Region: South Australia, Victoria, Gippsland
- Country: Australia
- Aroma: The deep, rich fragrance fills your nose with spices and dark fruit. Very succulent apricot fruit rounded out with toffee & caramel as well as a lot of floral character.
- Food Pairing with wine: Vegetarian and poultry